Pages

doctors visits go a little like "you need to lose weight, you're obese"

Tuesday, January 31, 2017




I have just arrived back at home from my morning doctor's appointment with a doctor that I am very uncomfortable with.

I have had back pain for over 3 years now, my breasts are a size 34 DDD, and I have permanent dents from my bra digging into my shoulders and sides. My back kills me on a daily basis, my shoulders are rolled forward, and I am not comfortable 90% of the time.

At 20 my boobs are saggy, misshapen, uneven, and UNCOMFORTABLE.

So, I arrive at my doctors appointment.

I go into the exam room and talk to the medical assistant about what I'm there for, even though I told them over the phone what I wanted to talk about and I had this appointment made 2 months ago.

The doctor comes in shortly after, and asks me what I'm there for...uh?

I explain, again, what I'm there for and he immediately goes...

"WELL THEY DONT ACCEPT OHP FOR BREST REDUCTIONS"
"Plus your BMI is 32.."
This is when I interrupt and say "so I'm obese?"
He then jumps in and says "uh...well...I'd say overweight"

He then goes on to tell me "You're overweight, you need to lose weight, your BMI is 32" followed by a not so friendly look.

I told him I don't think there is anything wrong with my body, and that BMI doesn't determine my true health.

He went on to tell me how BMI is important, and I went on to tell him that I had a borderline eating disorder when I tried to get to the recommended weight of 120 lbs for my height.

He just gave me another dirty look, sighed, and said he would submit the request.

I knew this was going to happen.

I knew he was going to police my body, tell me that I was overweight. Tell me that I needed to be smaller to even be considered for something that would cause the pain to go away.

To him I am obese. I am an unworthy overweight 20-year old whose number on the scale is more important than relieving my pain.

Today I felt defeated for a moment. Someone telling me that I was not good enough, that I was too big, that I needed to lose weight to be better.

He thought he knew my body better than I do. He didn't even give me a minute to explain myself.

He shut me down, he disregarded my feelings, and he didn't even listen.

This conversation was less than 5 minutes. And in less than 5 minutes he made me feel unimportant.

MY BODY IS NOT MEANT TO BE 130 LBS.

I eat intuitively. I am active. I am enough.

Well, I'm off to eat the donut holes that i bought, because F societal standards.

-Sincerely

Sam







No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs