Pages

the art of slowing down

Wednesday, May 3, 2017





My day usually consists of jumping out of bed, taking 3 minute showers and speeding to school only to get there early. I walk fast to class and I can't wait for class to end once it starts. I then speed walk to my car and I drive home fast only to be anxious about the next thing that I need to get done.  

Today as I was listening to the podcast "Slowing Down" (which is aired on the Ted talk hour podcast show) I realized that I zoom through my life only to zoom through more stuff in my life. 

Is this actually my life? 

I never actually breathe. I never just walk through campus and take nature in. I never sit outside and watch people and animals roaming. I never truly enjoy the present moment. 

And I'm not sure why I think living life in the fast lane is so enjoyable, because I'm not enjoying anything really. I'm always thinking about the next thing as I'm doing the task before it. I'm always timing how long it takes me to arrive home. I never just take the drive in. The walk in. Or my life in. 

I feel as if I'm running on auto pilot. Thinking the busier I am, the better. 

I think we correlate filling up our schedules to the max with happiness, fulfillment, and how we will be viewed by others. 
We think we will be more popular if we have a busier schedule, we will be occupied so that will make us happier, and that the only way we can get fulfillment is always being active, doing better, and doing more. And doing it fast.  

Today I tried something different. I drove slow to school, avoiding listening to music and I just took the drive in. I sat in the park blocks without my phone eating my egg and cheese bagel admiring the beauty of spring and the sunshine. I consciously walked to class, making sure I was at a comfortable pace. I took my time after class finishing up what needed to be done, not thinking about what I needed to do next. I took the drive home in, and I arrived home feeling so different. 

It was such a big change. 

The art of slowing down isn't to be lazy. It's to live life instead of just doing life. It's being conscious about what you are doing. It's about not overbooking yourself. It's about saying no to things you don't want to do. And it's more about taking deep breathes and beautiful walks and being present. 

It's truly a beautiful way to live, and is something that changed my day, and from

now on it will change my life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs